Description is a part of the of the web page’s HTML code header and it displays the text that you have written in order to briefly disclose the main content of the page to both users and search engines. For example on a blog, most promoted objects are articles, that contain some certain keywords (frequent phrases).
The final goal of using the meta tag description is to hit the best place in Search engines (SERP) as a snippet of the page, and there it is located under the heading of the adequate document (web page). Its main purpose there is to engage the user who is looking for the information he needs on a specific request on the results page of his search.
However, the text in the snippet can be replaced by the part of the page’s content, if Google decides that this is more preferable. In this case, whether the description in the snippet is descended from the description tag or from the text, then still the meta tag description composition affects the ranking of the page in the search results.
SEO Description Requirements
- It must disclose the essence of the page, written in the form of an agreed text. There may be several sentences.
- It has to be unique for each of the site’s pages, it cannot duplicate similar tags from other sites (for this we use the company name in the text of the meta tag).
- In the tag, you need to use the queries that refer to the page’s topic, but you need to do this in a way that they are used naturally, in the desired grammar form. Also, you should not just list the requests separated by commas.
- The content of the tag should not repeat its Title.
- The description length must be no less than 70 and no more than 150-200 characters. Google defines the length in pixels, the recommended length is between 400 – 930 pixels.
- It is desirable, that the description reflects the main company’s advantages, its products or services.
- It is better to place the most important information and phrases at the beginning of the meta description.